Should you choose a metal roof or shingle roof?
Are you trying to decide if a metal roof or shingle roof is better for you? We created this guide to help you choose the right roofing material for your Knoxville, TN home.
In this comprehensive comparison, we’ll explore the advantages and disadvantages of metal roofs and shingle roofs, helping you make an informed decision.
When you’re ready to transform your roof, give us a call at 865-297-3286.
Want to talk to a roofer? Request a call here.
Comparing Metal Roofs & Shingle Roofs
|- Excellent durability, resistant to hail, high winds, and extreme temperature fluctuations.
|- Moderate durability, may suffer damage from hail and strong winds over time.
|- Reflective properties help keep homes cooler in hot summers.
|- May absorb heat, potentially increasing cooling costs in summer.
|Rain and Moisture
|- Resistant to moisture, preventing mold and mildew growth.
|- Susceptible to moisture damage if not properly maintained.
|Snow and Ice
|- Shed snow and ice easily, reducing the risk of ice dams.
|- Ice dams may form, leading to water leaks and damage.
|- Highly resistant to hail damage, minimizing repair costs.
|- Vulnerable to hail damage, leading to costly repairs or replacements.
|- Exceptional wind resistance, ideal for withstanding storms.
|- Moderate wind resistance; may require regular maintenance in windy areas.
|- Can last 50+ years with minimal maintenance.
|- Typically lasts 20-30 years with proper care.
|- Low maintenance, occasional inspections suffice.
|- Moderate maintenance, including periodic shingle replacement.
|- Reflective properties reduce cooling costs in summers.
|- May require additional insulation for energy efficiency.
|- Offers modern styles and finishes for a contemporary look.
|- Classic and versatile appearance with various color options.
|- Eco-friendly, often made from recyclable materials.
|- Less eco-friendly due to asphalt composition; can contribute to landfill waste.
What You Need To Know About Getting A Metal Roof
Long Lasting & Durable
- Metal roofs are renowned for their exceptional lifespan, often lasting 50 years or more.
- They are highly resistant to harsh weather conditions, including hail, wind, and rain.
- Metal roofs require minimal maintenance, making them a low-hassle option.
Energy Efficient & Eco-friendly
- Metal roofs are excellent for energy efficiency, reflecting sunlight and reducing cooling costs.
- They are eco-friendly, often made from recyclable materials, and can be recycled at the end of their life.
- Metal roofs can be equipped with solar panels for further energy savings.
Customizable Featuring Great Curb Appeal
- Modern metal roofing comes in various styles, colors, and finishes, allowing for customization.
- Options like standing seam and metal tiles can give your home a unique, contemporary look.
- Contrary to common misconceptions, metal roofs can be visually appealing.
Top 3 Questions We Get Asked About Metal Roofs
Are metal roofs noisy?
No, modern metal roofs are designed with insulation layers that minimize noise during rain or hail.
How long do metal roofs last in Knoxville, TN?
Metal roofs are renowned for their longevity, typically lasting 40-70 years compared to a shingle roof’s 15-25 years. Knoxville’s moderate climate with occasional extreme weather further supports their lifespan.
Are metal roofs more expensive?
Yes, the initial cost is higher. But cost of ownership over time may actually be lower if the roof is properly maintained.
Two Most Popular Metal Roof Types: Standing Seam & Classic Rib Metal Roofing
Standing Seam Metal Roofs:
Standing seam metal roofs are known for their modern, sleek appearance and exceptional durability. They are characterized by raised seams that interlock, providing a continuous vertical line along the roof’s surface. These roofs are commonly used in both residential and commercial buildings. These roofs offer excellent protection against high wind, hail, rain & snow. The interlocking seam prevents water from seeping between the panels.
Classic Rib Metal Roofs:
Classic Rib metal roofs are recognized for their traditional appearance and versatility, making them a popular choice for various architectural styles. These roofs feature a series of raised ribs or grooves that run horizontally across the panels, creating a timeless and familiar aesthetic. Classic Rib roofs are often used in residential, commercial, and industrial applications.
Metal Roofing Colors
More About Metal Roof Repair - Knoxville, TN
What You Need To Know About Getting A Shingle Roof
Versatile & Traditional
- Shingle roofs are a popular choice among homeowners due to their classic, timeless appearance.
- Available in a wide range of colors and styles, shingles can complement any architectural design.
- They are typically more budget-friendly than metal roofs, making them an attractive option for many.
Shingle Roof Durability and Maintenance
- Shingle roofs have a good lifespan, often lasting 20-30 years with proper maintenance.
- Regular inspections and minor repairs can extend their longevity.
- Keep in mind that shingle roofs may require periodic maintenance, such as shingle replacement.
Energy Efficiency and Insulation
- Shingle roofs offer decent insulation but may not be as energy-efficient as metal roofs.
- Reflective shingles can help reduce heat absorption, enhancing energy efficiency.
- Proper attic insulation can further improve the energy performance of shingle roofs.
Top 3 Questions We Get Asked About Shingle Roofs
What’s the best type of roof for Knoxville weather?
Asphalt shingles are the most common and affordable roofing option for Knoxville’s climate. However, consider upgrading to impact-resistant asphalt shingles for better hail protection or explore longer-lasting options like metal if your budget allows.
How often do I need to replace my shingle roof in Knoxville, TN?
Expect to replace asphalt shingles every 15-25 years in Knoxville. Factors affecting lifespan include shingle quality, installation, maintenance, and weather exposure. Inspect your roof regularly for signs of wear and tear.
How much does it cost to repair a shingle roof in Knoxville, TN?
Repair costs vary depending on the damage and size of the area. Simple repairs start around $250 (if we’re able to fix it during the service call with the materials we have with us). If you need a more extensive repair, we generate a free repair estimate before any work is done.
More About Shingle Roof Repair - Knoxville, TN
Understanding the role of a roofing contractor is essential for homeowners, especially when dealing with roof installations, repairs, or maintenance. In this blog post, we’ll explore what a roofing contractor does, the importance of hiring one, and how Litespeed Construction in Knoxville, TN, stands out in this field.
Reviews From Our Roofing Jobs In Knoxville, TN
Don't take our word for it. Here's what one of our recent customers has to say.
Why Choose Litespeed Construction?
We can get your new roof started fast.
When it comes to roof replacement, you want a company you can count on to finish the job right.
- Our team has years of experience in the roofing industry and knows how to get the job done right.
- We use only the highest quality materials from top manufacturers like GAF, Atlas, and Owens Corning.
- We work quickly and efficiently to minimize disruption to your daily life.
- We offer competitive pricing and flexible financing options to make sure you can afford the roof replacement you need.