When a chimney has a leak it is important to look at the entire chimney not just at the roof or the possibility of the leak. This is why we are calling this story how to fix a leaking chimney. This chimney on this homeowners house has an immediate leak that could be coming from the chimney flashing which is where the chimney actually meets the roof. But take a look at the pictures and the video and you will see that the chimney that is leaking in this video might actually be caused by nail pops or roof leaks at the chimney caused by cracks in the mortar or possibly the chimney cap because these are all great placesfor this chimney to leak. Not just at the chimney flashing because you need to evaluate the chimney leak correctly.
Table of contents
- This chimney might be leaking from uncovered nails
- Chimney step flashing can cause Chimney leaks
- The chimney does not have a cricket
- This is a possible reason that this chimney is leaking
- This chimney cap could be the cause of this roof leak we need to seal it to be sure that it doesn’t leak
- 1This chimney might be leaking from uncovered nailsGo To Pin
- 2Chimney step flashing can cause Chimney leaks
chimney step flashing could be the cause of the roof leak because the nails have not been properly placed. this is not necessarily the reason for the leak there are several other reasons that this chimney could be leaking.
Because chimney re-flashing is the most expensive solution we should wait and see if other less expensive solutions are possible to resolve this issue.Go To Pin
- 3The chimney does not have a cricket
But just because the chimney does not have a cricket does that mean that it Is the cause of the leak. This chimney might be leaking from several other locations that have been mentioned. It does not necessarily have to leave because the flashing is bad or because it does not have a cricket.Go To Pin
- 4This is a possible reason that this chimney is leakingGo To Pin
- 5This chimney cap could be the cause of this roof leak we need to seal it to be sure that it doesn’t leak
This chimney cap could be the cause of this roof leak we need to seal it to be sure that it doesn’t leak. When we seal the cracks on this chimney cap and around the mortar of the chimney we can be sure that they will not leak because they will not allow water to get into the chimney and appear like roof leaks.Go To Pin