Commercial roofing systems that have safety rails will have several possible on-going issues.
- The rails need to be monitored for rust and rot. This can require major overhaul and replace of the railing systems if maintenance is not developed.
- Penetrations need to be correctly installed, and anchored to the substructure. Usually pitch pockets will be poured around the rails that are there. Note: If the railing system is loose, call a General Contractor or Roofing C ontractor immediately.
- Codes-specifically the IRC say that the railing systems have to be 42” tall for safety. Usually your older iron railing systems may not be this height.
- A few years ago, this owner put a rolled roof membrane over this low slope. The roof is having issues, ponding water, and leaking. So asphalt type rolled roof does not like ponding water, and they have a greater chance of leaking.
- So in summary, single ply, like TPO roof works best here. Make sure and check your railing and penetrations for Codes and functionality.